Marion Brothers

Marion Brothers

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Citizen Tags McCain and Palin with Unanswerable Questions

Reported by Eddie Griffin

The McCain-Palin Express made a whistle stop in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They thought they would stop at El Pinto Restaurant for a photo op. All went well, until they ran into Jim Angela and his wife Angela and 16-month old daughter Caterina.

The encounter was photographed, not by the mainstream media, but still shots from a camera phone. It is proof that Mr. Angela’s story is true.

HAT TIP to Jim Angela

Excerpts from: “How an AMERICAblog reader asked John and Sarah real questions at a photo opp today. Palin notes that Stevens is under indictment.”

An AMERICAblog reader was having lunch in Albuquerque, New Mexico today, when who should drop in for a substance-less photo opp? John McCain and Sarah Palin. And you'll be surprised to know that when both of them were asked polite but substantive questions by our reader, they refused to answer.

Our family today had an interesting encounter that I wanted to share with you. We were eating at El Pinto restaurant in Albuquerque. It is the most popular New Mexican restaurant in town, a large sprawling compound with a number of dinning rooms and patio spaces.

We were eating outside in the patio closest to the main road and had just finishing lunch when I saw the McCain bus drive by! It was followed closely by a number of police motorcycles, secret service SUVS, and press vans. It was obvious they were coming to El Pinto!

I decided this might be my one chance, to ask one question of each candidate. I carried Caterina (16 months) along with me to meet the candidates.

I worked my way through a number of other dinners and secret service and finally got to the patio on the other side of the restaurant. I could see John McCain ahead of me shaking hands with folks… I had a baby in one arm and an iPhone in the other!



McCain worked his way up to me and Cat and as I shook his hand, I asked, "Sir, I respect your service but, why were you against the GI bill?" Senator McCain, paused, he looked a bit surprised at the question and then he said, "Nice to meet you." I repeated the question and he repeated his non-answer. He quickly worked his way down the line. So much for straight-talk!

McCain worked his way up to me and Cat and as I shook his hand, I asked, "Sir, I respect your service but, why were you against the GI bill?" Senator McCain, paused, he looked a bit surprised at the question and then he said, "Nice to meet you." I repeated the question and he repeated his non-answer. He quickly worked his way down the line. So much for straight-talk!

I have been genuinely curious as to why he wouldn't support a bill so important to veterans (McCain opposed this bill from the beginning and then skipped the vote)… I think this reaction is not unique and the press must feel the same pressure that I felt. Perhaps that explains why his poor support for veteran issues isn't well known.

Sarah Palin was next! I couldn't resist trying for a better photo. It is still blurry, but talk about a close encounter.


Sarah first looked at Caterina said hello, and I shook her hand.

I asked, "Are supporting Ted Stevens this year?"

She replied, "He's under indictment you know...his trial is in September."

I replied, "But are you voting for him?"

She walked away without answering.

No comments:

Post a Comment